Beware, Class of 2019

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Emma Bauer, Staff Writer

I remember being a sophomore. Junior year was like the intimidating fourth graders on the first day of elementary school, albeit an exciting new chapter in the book of life. You may have heard that junior year is the hardest, with the most difficult courses and the most homework. Frankly, like any other year of high school, it all depends on circumstance.

Junior year offers a lot of cool things too, so let us clarify some of the perks before going into the big and the bad.

• You are the only class that even has a chance of contending with the seniors for the spirit stick at pep rallies. Let’s face it, the freshmen and sophomores never win.
  • Everyone starts driving!
  • You are now officially considered an “upperclassman.”
  • You are one year closer to graduation.
  • You have fulfilled your language credit requirement.
  • You can intimidate the lower classmen when using the terms “dual credit” and “AP” classes.
  • You only have to take one STAAR!
  • More class options. You lucky boogers are not required to take chemistry or physics, which occupies sophomore and junior year, so when you become a junior, you can take practically any science you want.

Now, I will address some of the rumors and fears you might have about your junior year:

• This may just be me, but my sophomore homework load was heavier than my junior one was. Just saying. And I took two dual classes.
  • The difficulty and amount of the homework you have will mainly depend on what classes you take.
  • On a bit of a tangent from my last point, take the class that you think will give you a healthy dose of challenge. Taking a class that is too easy for you will lend to a year long duration of boredom. Taking a class that is too hard will give you an unnecessary amount of stress.
  • Is dual credit or AP harder? It depends. Do you find pre-AP easy, or hard? Or in the middle? Use this as the basis of your choice. (Where I used to live, I took pre-AP classes in intermediate school. Be glad Keller doesn’t have that.)
  • I took dual English and history, and I personally am very happy with my choice.
  • What is the difference between dual credit and AP classes?
  • For you to acquire college credit from an AP class, you have to pass the final exam at the end of the year. For dual, which counts as a college level course (it is not as bad as that sounds), you have to pass the year’s worth of the class. Just pass.
  • However, dual will only lend you college credit if you attend a college in Texas. AP also gives ten extra points to your class average if you pass, and will apply to out of state colleges.

I hope I was able to answer some questions and quell some of your fears about your “hardest” year of high school! Stay strong, and enjoy next year, class of 2019!

• Beware, Class of 2019

Spotlight

Senior Tributes

• Beware, Class of 2019

Student Life

Sum of Our Parts

• Beware, Class of 2019

Rants

13 Reasons Why This Is All Wrong

• Culture

Things To Do Before Senior Year

• Beware, Class of 2019

Culture

Upcoming Music Artist: Julia Brennan

• Beware, Class of 2019

Student Life

The Incredibly Forgetful Person’s Guide to Life

• Beware, Class of 2019

Columns

Behind the Screens: A Tribute To the Seniors

• Beware, Class of 2019

Culture

Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

• Beware, Class of 2019

That's Rad

Your Personal Time Machine

• Beware, Class of 2019

Spotlight

Senior Tributes

error: Content is protected !!
The News Site of Keller High School
Beware, Class of 2019