The Incredibly Forgetful Person’s Guide to Life

Creative Commons

Hannah Webb, Staff Writer

This article goes out to all my fellow friends who have short-term memory loss. While I have learned to alter my daily routine so that I forget things on a far less frequent basis, I’m almost positive that I have some kind of disease that altered whatever section of my brain is supposed to remember things on a short-term basis…because I’m without a doubt one of the most forgetful people I’ve ever met.

I’m writing this article to share that system with those of you who, like me, cannot remember important tasks for more than five minutes to save your life. So without further ado, here it is…a guide to life from an incredibly forgetful person, so that maybe, just maybe, you’ll have some sliver of hope for improvement.

Life Tip #1: One word: planner. Get one. The second someone says something you might need to remember to do later, whip that puppy out and write it down. Because you know as well as I do that if you don’t write it down somewhere, you won’t do it. (Also, Sub-Life Tip #1: if you go with the planner, make sure you make it a part of your daily routine to actually check it and look over what you have to do…because if you can’t even remember to check the planner, I can’t help you and you also may need medical attention).

Life Tip #2: If you’re too lazy to get the planner, use the Calendar or Reminders app on your phone…this’ll work just as well and I know you have your phone on you 24/7, so there’s no chance you’ll forget.

Life Tip #3: If you use your phone alarm to wake up in the morning, change the name of the alarm to remind you in some way of what it is you have to do. That way, as soon as you wake up you’ll remember to finish that one worksheet you were supposed to do three days ago. (This also works well if you’re laying in bed almost too lazy to even breathe, and you just can’t fathom the idea of getting out of bed to go get that planner I told you to write in after remembering something you have to do).

Life Tip #4: COLOR CODING. This is just a nice organizational tip for anyone, but especially if you forget things easily, come up with some kind of color coding system that you can use in your planner or calendar that’ll help you remember when things are due and how urgent they are.

Life Tip #5: Hang a whiteboard calendar on your bedroom door. They have these things at any Walmart or Target and typically they come with little double sided tape stickers so they’re easy to stick to a wall or door. Write important dates on it every time they come up so whenever you’re walking out of your room to go to school in the morning, you’ll see the calendar and remember any important things for that day.

Hopefully, between these five tips you’ll be able to find one or a combination that works for you so you won’t be as hopeless as you were before. Just remember, coming from a forgetful person in five AP classes and three+ clubs, if I can find a way to remember everything I need to do, anything’s possible.  

• The Incredibly Forgetful Person’s Guide to Life

Spotlight

Senior Tributes

Student Life

Sum of Our Parts

Rants

13 Reasons Why This Is All Wrong

• Culture

Things To Do Before Senior Year

Culture

Upcoming Music Artist: Julia Brennan

Columns

Behind the Screens: A Tribute To the Seniors

Culture

Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

That's Rad

Your Personal Time Machine

That's Rad

Beware, Class of 2019

Spotlight

Senior Tributes

error: Content is protected !!
The News Site of Keller High School