Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Emma Bauer, Staff Writer

Pentatonix is a five member a cappella group that made their claim to fame as the Sing-Off champions of 2011.

The group is comprised of Scott Hoying, a tall, blonde, and charismatic baritone, and his right hand man Mitch Grassi, a little sprite and gift of a person, a tenor who can reach crazy falsetto notes with ease. We can not forget about the engaging and happy-go-lucky energy that belongs to Kevin Olusola, who is the crucial role of beatboxer (is that a word?) and celloist. Or he can do both at the same time, if you would like. His best friend, Avriel or Avi Kaplan, is the charming and ever-friendly bass, who has a love for folk music. Pentatonix is completed with the presence of Kirstin Maldonado, the mezzo-soprano who beautifully compliments the voices of her peers with her own.

They have gone on to win not one, but two Grammys, as well as having several albums go silver and gold, and even platinum in Canada.

You may know them from their stirring performance of “Mary Did You Know” from their 2014 Christmas album, or from “Can’t Sleep Love,” a popular hit from their first original album, or even from their more recent hit, a gravitational rendering of “Hallelujah” from their 2016 Christmas album. Maybe, you country fans, you liked Pentatonix featuring Dolly Parton singing an old favorite: “Jolene.”

PTX Vol. IV has a wonderful twist on it: classics in a cappella.

Are you a fan of the critically acclaimed “Bohemian Rhapsody,” by Queen? Or perhaps “Can’t Help Falling in Love,” by Elvis Presley? Maybe “Imagine,” by John Lennon. If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Kidding. If you answered yes, then PTX Vol. IV may be the thing for you.

Pentatonix did an absolutely stunning job covering these already beautiful songs. You may never listen to music the same way again.

Want to listen to these songs now? Visit YouTube and search “PTXofficial” to enjoy some music for the ages.

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

Album Fight: Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die! vs. Death of a Bachelor

• Culture

Things To Do Before Senior Year

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

Upcoming Music Artist: Julia Brennan

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

Movie Review: Fate of the Furious

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

Studying Playlist

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

Album Review: Kendrick Lamar’s DAMN

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

Nexflix Series Review: Girlboss

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

Movie Review: The Discovery

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

Upcoming Albums of 2017

• Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4

Culture

5 Years Since ‘channel ORANGE’

error: Content is protected !!
The News Site of Keller High School
Music Review: Pentatonix Vol. 4